THE COOKIE MONSTER
This tasty treat is good for any chocolate hankering. By combining two of almost everyones favorite things–brownies and cookies–you get one perfect dessert for the monster within you.
1¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons dark unsweetened cocoa powder
11 ounces dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 cup (8 ounces) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
1½ cups granulated sugar
½ cup packed light brown sugar
5 eggs, at room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 stick (4 oz,115 gr) cold butter, cut into small cubes
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 slightly beaten egg
- 7 oz (200gr) chocolate chunks (I prefer dark, good quality chocolate with high percentage of cacao, but this time all I had at hand were semi-sweet chocolate chips)
Begin with the brownies.
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter the sides and bottom of medium size baking pan.
2. In a bowl, mix the flour, salt, and cocoa powder together.
3. Put the chocolate, butter and instant espresso powder in a large bowl and set it over a saucepan of simmering water, stirring occasionally, until the chocolate and butter are completely melted. Turn off the heat and add the sugars. Whisk until completely combined, then remove the bowl from the pan.
4. Add 3 eggs to the chocolate mixture and whisk until combined. Add the remaining eggs and whisk until combined. Add the vanilla and stir until combined. Do not overbeat the batter at this stage or your brownies will be cakey.
5. Sprinkle the flour mixture over the chocolate mixture. Using a rubber spatula (not a whisk), fold the flour mixture into the chocolate until just a bit of the flour mixture is visible.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake in the center of the oven for 10 minutes, meanwhile starting working on the cookie dough.
Now for the cookie dough:
1. Sift flour and baking soda, and mix in salt. Combine butter, sugar, and brown sugar at low speed. Mix for 3 minutes.
2. Add vanilla and egg and stir until combined. Slowly add flour mix and stir until it just comes together. Mix in the chocolate chips or chunks using a wooden spoon.
3. Fold the cookie dough onto the top of the half-baked brownies. Dont worry too much about gaps, the cookies will expand. Bake in oven for about 7-10 minutes, or until just golden brown on top. Enjoy!